[Company Logo Image]


Home Contents SEARCH 

IRS Enrolled Agent Logo

Why an Enrolled Agent
Certifying Acpt Agent
Free Services
Email Advice
Track Your Tax Refund
Tax Glossary
Neat Facts & Stats
1913 US Form 1040
Questions & Library
Partner Profiles
Tax Calendar
Reasons to Call Us
Links Of Interest
Privacy & Disclosure

Certifying Acceptance Agent

As a Certifying Acceptance Agent Wink Inc. is authorized by the IRS assist alien individuals and other foreign taxpayers who are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) with applying for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

We offer this service to our clients and foreign nationals to assist in the compliance with IRS tax filings and withholding regulations. Our formal agreement under Section 301.6109-1(d)(3)(iv)(A) of the U.S. Treasury Regulations with the IRS allows us to:

Prepare the IRS Form W-7, Application for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

Review the required supporting documentation (during a personal interview or via video conference) to verify the applicants identity and foreign status

Issue a Certificate of Accuracy to the IRS that the ITIN application is complete, accurate and that the documentation provided to us for review is authentic. This is limited to primary and secondary applicants. Applications for dependents will still require that originals documentation or certified copies from the issuing agency be mailed to IRS.

Submit the application on behalf of the foreign individual to the IRS ITIN Operations office for processing

Receive the ITIN directly from the IRS and communicate directly with the IRS on behalf of the applicant with respect to the issuance of the ITIN

Offer expedited ITIN application service with the IRS, who processes ITIN applications submitted by Certifying Acceptance Agents before processing ITIN applications submitted directly by ITIN applicants.

Why Use A Certifying Acceptance Agent Over An Acceptance Agent?

Both an IRS Acceptance Agent and an IRS Certifying Acceptance Agent help eligible individuals to apply for an IRS ITIN number.

There are, however, two main differences that make it much more convenient to utilize the services of a Certifying Acceptance Agent as compared to the services of an Acceptance Agent when applying for an IRS ITIN number.

First, a Certifying Acceptance Agent can certify an applicantís identification documents whereas an Acceptance Agent cannot. Individuals applying through an Acceptance Agent must either submit their original identification documents, or submit a copy certified by the issuing agency, a State Department employee at a US Embassy or Consulate, or a foreign notary authorized under the Hague Convention.

Second, a Certifying Acceptance Agent can receive the IRS ITIN number whereas an Acceptance Agent cannot.

Who Needs An ITIN?

ITINís are only available to individuals who are required to have a taxpayer identification number for tax purposes, and do not have, and are not eligible to obtain, a Social Security Number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA).

ITINís are issued regardless of immigration status. Both resident and nonresident aliens who have United States tax return and payment responsibilities under the Internal Revenue Code are qualified to be issued an ITIN. If you are required to file a U.S. tax return, or must file a U.S. tax return to claim a refund of over-withheld tax, then you are eligible to receive an ITIN.

Please contact us for further assistance with applying for an ITIN.

  [Back] [Home] [Next]

We do not offer legal advice. All information provided on this website is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for proper legal advice. If you have legal questions, we recommend that you seek the advice of legal professionals.

Tax Disclaimer: To ensure compliance with IRS Rules, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein.

Copyright © 2017 Wink Tax Services / Wink Inc.
Last modified: January 30, 2017